I participated in an Ambassador Program on behalf of Influence Central for Vanity Fair. I received product samples to facilitate my review and compensation to thank me for my participation.
Buying a bra can be hard.
Let me rephrase…buying a good-fitting bra can be hard.
Considering 80% of women are wearing the wrong-sized bra, is it any wonder we have a hard time picking the perfect bra!
A few weeks ago, I told you I would be sharing all the tips and tricks I received from Vanity Fair that I received at the Vanity Fair Blogger Summit to picking the perfect bra. And while there is no substitution for a professional sizing and fitting, these tips can help you the next time you go shopping.
How to Pick The Perfect Bra – 7 Things To Know
1. The Two Finger Rule. Your bra’s straps and back should not be too tight. In fact, you should be able to easily put two fingers between the strap and your skin. If either are too tight, adjust or go up a size.
2. No Gaps. Every breast is different. While your BFF might have the same size bra as you, my guess is her breasts are different. You want to find a bra that covers your breasts without having either gaps or spillage. Gaps occur when the breast isn’t filling the bra, spillage occurs when the bra can’t cover the breast . If either of these are happening, then either get a different size or try a different style.
3. Center of Attention. The center front (when the two cups meet), should set against your chest comfortably. Imagine that it is “cradling” your breasts. If it sits too high or too low, try another size.
4. Middle Hook is Best. When you clasp your bra, the ideal is to use the middle hook. If you are using the farthest hook, your bra might be too big. The closest hook, it may be too small. Remember, the goal is comfort, not to cinch it as tight as it will go.
5. Shoulders and Elbows. Once you have the bra on, stand up straight with your arms at your side and look in the mirror. Your bra straps should lay at the beginning of your shoulder (which is the end of your collar bone). Also your breasts should be DEAD SET in the middle, between you shoulders and elbows. If your breasts are lower, look for a higher support bra with more coverage.
6. Check Out The Back Bulge. I’m going to be honest and say the perfect bra will not 100% eliminate back bulge. However, the perfect bra will minimize back bulge. Extreme back bulge usually happens when the bra is too small (either cup size or width). (And honestly peeps, an ill-fitting bra makes you look fat.) If you are noticing extreme back bulge, either go up a size (in either cup or width) or try a different style (usually one with fuller coverage).
7. Top Test. Even though it can be awkward, make sure to try on a shirt over the bra. Remember, your bra is to help you feel more confident, so make sure it looks good under the clothes you are wearing before you buy it.
What’s My Perfect Bra
I’ve mentioned several times that I’ve worn Vanity Fair Bras since my early 20s. For me, Vanity Fair combines stylish and on-trend colors and fashion with practicality. It’s a bra that looks good on, is comfortable, and stays in place so I can focus on other things.
For me, that is the Vanity Fair Beauty Back Bra in 36 DD.
(But I will admit to also loving several other Vanity Fair Bras, but this one is my go-to.)
First, the Beauty Back Bra is Vanity Fair’s most popular bra. During the training, one of Vanity Fair’s employees said it looks good “coming or going” because it smooths from front to back. It is able to do that because…
- The band is built up – it is able to cover more of your skin than traditional bras.
- The straps are closer together – making “strap slipping” less of a problem.
- The band is made with 20% spandex – it is like SPANX for your back.
- The straps have a front adjust bracket – no more taking your bra off to make your straps lose/tighter.
- Honeycomb fabric band allows more of a grip on your skin – so no more adjusting throughout the day.
And considering you can get all of that for under $40 at most retailers, it’s a bargain.
And because I believe a picture is a worth a thousand words…here is yours truly in the Beauty Back Bra vs “the other guys” bra.
What about you? Do you have any tips or tricks to picking the perfect bra? Leave a comment and share your knowledge with the rest of the inter-sphere…because life is too short to wear an ill-fitting bra.