“Water, with lemon. Please.”
How many times have you ordered this in a restaurant? 100. 1,000. 10,000 times?
And did you realize that with each squeeze of lemon, you were actually improving your health?
Adding lemon to your water not only adds a bit of flavor, but it also nourishes our body with vitamins, minerals and trace elements we need. In fact, here are 14 crazy ways drinking water with lemon improves health every single day.
14 Crazy Ways Drinking Water With Lemon Improves Health
- Water with lemon is a natural energy booster.
- Water with lemon provides the body with electrolytes (like potassium, calcium and magnesium) which hydrate your body.
- Warm water with lemon contains citric acid which helps with digestion. Lemon interacts with other enzymes and acids, which stimulates the secretion of gastric juice and digestion.
- Water with lemon cleanses the liver. The lemon juice stimulates the liver to release toxins.
- Water with lemon provides an alkalizing effect in the body. Drink it immediately before a meal and it can help your body maintain a higher level of pH. The higher the pH, the more your body is able to fight diseases. Plus, a high alkaline diet helps with weight loss.
- Water with lemon is good for the joints, reducing pain and fatigue.
- Water with lemon helps regulate bowel movements.
- Water with lemon is great for the skin. Not only are you hydrating your skin, but the Vitamin C in lemon helps speed up the rejuvenating of the body.
- Water with lemon can help lower blood pressure. A daily intake of one lemon can reduce high blood pressure by 10%.
- Water with lemon cleanses blood, blood vessels and arteries.
- Water with lemon helps dissolve gallstones, kidney stones, pancreatic stones, and calcium deposits.
- Water with lemon protects the body from viruses and infections. Lemon is a powerful antioxidant, it protects the body from free radicals and strengthens the immune system, leading to fewer colds.
- Water with lemon relieves heartburn.
- Water with lemon can cure the “blues”. Lemon has a high level of potassium. Sometimes feelings of depression and anxiety can be caused by low levels of potassium in the blood. The nervous system needs a sufficient amount of potassium to ensure sustainable signals to the heart.
What Are The Best Ways To Drink Water With Lemon?
Take a half cup of distilled or spring water and mix in the juice of half a lemon. You can also use a drop or two of lemon essential oils.
When Is The Best Time To Drink Water With Lemons?
First thing in the morning on an empty stomach. When we wake up in the morning, our body is dehydrated and in need of water to push out toxins and rejuvenate the cells. In other words, this homemade “lemon-concoction” helps eliminate internal toxins, regulating proper kidney and digestive tract functions by forcing them to work as smoothly as possible.
Before a meal. When you drink water with lemon before a meal, you help your body maintain a higher level of pH. The higher the pH, the more your body is able to fight diseases. Plus, a high alkaline diet helps with weight loss.
I’m a big believer in the adage, “What Can It Hurt?”. We all know that we should be drinking at least (8) 8 oz glasses of water per day, so why not increase the health benefits and add a little lemon, too.
How could water with lemon produce an “alkalizing effect”?? Lemon juice is an acid. Water is right around neutral on the pH scale (depending on your local water supply). Does it magically turn alkaline??????
Stephanie – There is often misunderstanding of lemon’s pH outside the body versus inside the body. Outside the body, lemon juice is acidic (pH is below 7). This is a non-issue. Everyone knows this. It’s a citrus fruit. Inside the body however, when lemon juice has been fully metabolized and its minerals are dissociated in the bloodstream, its effect is alkalizing and therefore raises the pH of body tissue (pH above 7 is alkaline).
Jewel McKeon says
Thank you for explaining how lemons interact with the body both inside and out!
Anna Nab says
Just be careful ordering lemons in your water at restaurants. There have been studies done to show that most of those lemons have significant amount of bacteria and fecal matter on them due the improper handling techniques of many servers. If you would like to have lemons in your water, best to do this at home, or somewhere where you know the lemons were washed first before being put into your glass.