The purpose of What’s For Dinner? is to provide you a recipe with items on sale this week, with no more than 10 ingredients (not including pantry items), and coming in at under $10 per meal.
It was about a year ago that Hubs and I went an our Texas Road-Trip and experience first-hand some of the best roadside BBQ joints in the nation. (Seriously, I think I gained 10 lbs on that trip and a whole appreciation for Jalapeno Sausage.)
As chicken is on sale EVERYWHERE this week – I thought I would give an shout out to my Texas vacation and my favorite fajita recipe ever.
Austin Fajitas & Veggies
(adapted from my favorite Junior League Cookbook)
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons of chopped scallions (or green onions)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon celery salt
1. Place thawed chicken in a gallon zip-loc plastic bag.
2. Mix remaining ingredients in a small bowl and pour over chicken. Seal bag and place in refrigerator overnight, turning occasionally.
3. Remove chicken and grill over medium-high heat until done.
4. Slice into strips.
Fajita Veggies Ingredients
2 peppers – one green and one yellow or red
2 onions – one white and one red
3 tablespoons of oil
1/4 cup of red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon cumin
Lawry’s Season Salt to taste
1. Slice veggies into strips.
2. Place oil is medium-large skillet and heat.
3. Saute veggies and turn frequently, until they are brown on both sides.
4. Add vinegar, cumin, and salt. Stir.
5. Turn heat down to medium low. Cover and continue cooking until veggies are soft – around 35 minutes. Add water if needed.
Serve with tortillas, sour cream, guacamole, etc. And there won’t be any leftovers – I promise.
What about you? Do you have a favorite vacation recipe? Share it with us via the comments or on the Kansas City Mamas Facebook Page.