Did you know that you can “thrift store shop” online?
In fact, some of my favorite sweaters, jeans, and jackets have come from online second-hand consignment stores. I love the selection, the quality, but most of all, the savings. In most cases, I’m paying between 60 – 80% off retail prices for department store brand names (and sometimes even more).
But not every purchase is a match made in heaven, and over the years I’ve learned a few secrets, tips, tricks for second-hand consignment shopping online. Follow these simple tips and you are guaranteed to have an amazing experience every single time.
Tips, Tricks for Second-Hand Consignment Shopping Online
1. Before you start shopping, make a specific list of items you want to purchase. Each online consignment store has tens of thousands of items available. If you just start searching for “whatever” you’ll go down an online shopping rabbit hole and spend hours looking around and have nothing to show for it.
2. Shop by brand name. I have brands that I love and know they are “cut” to fit my body type. I usually start by searching for those specific brands and then narrow it down by style (pants, shirts, dress, etc.) Also, if you have always wanted to try a specific brand, go into their bricks and mortar store and try things on. Then make notes and starting shopping online consignment.
3. Know your size. (Preferably, know you size in a specific brand.) Knowing that I’m a 28 in Joe’s Jeans with at least a 32 inseam saves me a ton of time. I’m able to search quickly and know with 90% certainty that an item will fit.
4. Be willing to tailor. If you see a dress that you love, but it is only available in a larger size, tailor it. Even with the expense of a tailor, you are still WAY under retail for a dress that will fit like a glove.
5. Online consignment has more than women’s clothes. Most online consignments stores have children’s, maternity and men’s clothes, shoes, accessories, handbags and more.
6. Create a personal shopping account. This is my number one time saver. I always make a “personal shopper account” that filters in only my favorite brands and styles in my size. This account will automatically update every time I log into the website, so I can quickly see what items are available.
7. Final clearance. Most second-hand consignment stores have FINAL SALE where prices are almost 95% off retail. You can’t return the items, but it is a great way to get high-end clothes for pennies on the dollar.
8. Take advantage of FREE shipping. I always purchase WAY TO MANY ITEMS, knowing full well that I’m going to get them home, try them on, and return the majority. Treat online consignment the same way you would shopping in a bricks and mortar store…very rarely do we go into a fitting room with just one item, online consignment is no different.
My Favorite Online Consignment Stores
- Mix of higher-end and department store brands – Joe’s Jeans, J Crew, Zara, Tory Burch, Michael Kors, Theory.
- FREE shipping with $70 purchase.
- You have to pay for the shipping back to thredUp for purchases you want to return.
- Very affordable – items are usually 80% off retail.
- Referral Program: Friends receive a FREE $10 credit when they sign up and you receive $10 for every friend that signs up.
- BEST SCORE: Elie Tahari Wool/Cashmere Sweater for $16.80 (retail: $198)
- Higher-end items – Sam Edelman, Tory Burch, Stella & Dot, Coach, Juicy.
- Because you are working directly with sellers, you can “make an offer” on items.
- FREE shipping and FREE returns with purchase of full-service items.
- Affordable – items are usually 60% off retail.
- Referral Program: Friends receive a FREE $5 credit when they sign up and you receive $5 for every friend that signs up.
- BEST SCORE: Joe’s Jeans (Muse) for $26.00 (retail: $167)
Any tips I missed?
There are all my secrets, tips, tricks for second-hand consignment shopping online. It’s a great way to wear high-end department store clothes for less than Walmart prices. It does take a little work and a little honesty, but you can have the closet of your dreams for pennies on the dollars.
And here is another article you may like: 10 Frugal Clothing Tips To Help You Buy Designer Brands On A Budget.
Like this article? Make sure to follow my Style – Fashion Trends for Women Over 35 Board on Pinterest for more great tips, tricks and outfit ideas.
Follow Kelly @ Redefined Mom’s board Style ~ Fashion Trends for Women over 35 on Pinterest.
Love this! Have had great luck with thredup and twice! It is so awesome to get quality clothes for such great prices!
I know!! It is my new favorite thing…getting designer duds for Target/Kohl’s prices. It rocks.
Threadflip just closed… Right before I heard of it.