I’m not sure what happened, but it got COLD outside.
(Yes, I realize that I live in Kansas, but thought for a few months there that I actually lived in the South.)
And when it gets cold outside, I start making soups once a week.
I love soup. It seems to stick to your bones better than other meals, makes great leftovers and can feed an army without breaking the bank.
And this Slow Cooker Apple Beer Cheese Soup Recipe does all of those things, plus it tastes FREAKIN’ amazing.
The combination of the apple, beer and cheese (yes, all food groups are represented – at least in this household), is unique and satisfying. It’s sweet, bitter and creamy all in one bite. Plus, serve with some crusty bread and you have the soup/dip combination that kids like to eat. (And a few of us parents too.)
Two things to note:
- This recipe comes together QUICKLY, so it is perfect to make in the morning and serve at lunch or make in the afternoon and serve for dinner.
- If your slow cooker runs warm (I have one that the LOW is closer to HIGH), you may want to pick the “warm” setting. If your cheese gets too hot, it will curdle and no one likes chunky cheese soup.
Enjoy this family-favorite Slow Cooker Apple Beer Cheese Soup Recipe.
Slow Cooker Apple Beer Cheese Soup Recipe
This slow cooker apple beer cheese soup recipe is unique and satisfying. It’s sweet, bitter and creamy all in one bite. Plus, serve with some crusty bread and you have the soup/dip combination that kids like to eat.
Recipe Yields: 5 to 6 servings
3 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, diced
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
2 cups milk (whole or half & half works best)
3 cups extra sharp cheddar cheese (freshly grated is best)
1 can hard apple cider or apple blend seasonal beer (10 to 12 ounces)
1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
1⁄4 tsp salt
Green onions for garnish
1. In a large stock pot, add butter and melt. Over medium high heat, add onions, celery, garlic and carrots; cook for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add flour and whisk briskly to combine; continue cooking for 30 seconds, make sure to stir constantly. While still stirring, slowly add milk and broth. Cook for an additional 45 minutes until bubbling and starts to thicken.
3. Pour mixture into a slow cooker. Add cheese, beer, salt, and pepper; stir to combine. Cover and cook on LOW for 3 hours.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste and garnish with green onions if desired. Serve with a wedge of cheese or bread.
If you like this recipe, make sure to follow our Slow Cooker Recipe Board on Pinterest. We pin recipes just like this one to the board daily.
LOVE this recipe? Make sure to check out all of our tried and true recipes in the Redefined Mom Recipe Index.