I’m always on the hunt for an appetizer that I can make with items in my pantry.
And more specifically, I’m always on the hunt for an appetizer recipe with two of my favorite ingredients…olives and bacon.
(Seriously, when I saw the Mediterranean Diet a couple of years ago, I decided that I had died and gone to heaven because it encourages the eating of olives and drinking of wine. What woman wouldn’t be happy with that diet?..but I digress.)
This Bacon Olive Cheese Bread Recipe is a winner because
a. It has olives.
b. It has bacon.
c. It feeds a huge crowd. Serves 16 people!!
d. Can be made ahead and frozen. Just thaw and bake.
And don’t skimp on the quality of your olives! I know you can find inexpensive olives on sale, but splurge and look for Olives from Spain. (You can find the logo on the can). Please refer to the Olives from Spain Fact Sheet and the website for more information on types and usage ideas.
Plus, this recipe is filling! It is perfect for an appetizer party or if you are having a wine and cheese party and are looking for an appetizer with a little more substance.
This month, Olives from Spain will head to Miami for the country’s premiere food festival. If you are lucky enough to attend the renowned South Beach Wine and Food Festival, be sure to stop by the Olives from Spain station to sample some tasty bites. The event is expecting approximately 18,000 attendees.
(PS: My recipe was a combination of two recipes…one from The Pioneer Women and one from my tried-and-true Junior League Cookbook. And then of course, I added in a couple of ingredients of my own.)
Bacon Olive Cheese Bread Recipe
This Bacon Olive Cheese Bread Recipe is a crowd pleaser and can feed a crowd with items that are already in your pantry. Plus, it is super easy and fast! From start to finish in less than 35 minutes and can be made ahead and frozen.
Recipe Yields: 16 Servings
1 Can of Black Olives, 6 oz.
1 Can/Jar of Green Olives, 6 oz.
2 stalks of green onions
1 stick of unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup of mayonnaise
1 1/2 tablespoons of dijon mustard
4 oz Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
4 oz Swiss Cheese, shredded
6 slices of bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
1 loaf of crusty french bread, sliced lengthwise
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Drain olives and roughly chop both the black and green olives. Slice green onions into small pieces.
3. Combine butter, mayonnaise and dijon mustard in a medium size bowl. Stir until butter is well incorporated.
4. Add olives, bacon, and green onions to mayonnaise mixture. Stir well.
5. Add both cheeses to mixture. Stir well until all ingredients are equally distributed.
6. Spread mixture onto the french bread slices. Place french bread on to aluminum baking sheets. (These are my absolute favorite to cook with.)
The olive mixture will not spread while the bread bakes, so don’t worry if you are pilling too much on. The more the better.
7. Bake until cheese is melted and slightly brown, around 25 minutes.
8. Use a pizza cutter and cut into slices. Serve immediately and try to not be full for the main course.
LOVE this recipe? Make sure to check out all of our tried and true recipes in the Redefined Mom Recipe Index.
Disclaimer: Compensation was provided by Olives from Spain via MomTrends. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions of Olives from Spain or Momtrends. Want more information – check out my full full disclosure statement.