The purpose of What’s For Dinner? is to provide you a recipe with items on sale this week, with no more than 10 ingredients (not including pantry items), and coming in at under $10 per meal.
It’s in the homestretch of my personal favorite time of the year – NFL Playoffs.
It’s time to relish in who will be the Super Team, who won their Fantasy Football League, and who will start doing all the chores around the house because they are “back” on Sundays.
If you are looking for a great Super Bowl Party Recipe…try these Chicken Barbecue Sandwiches. Easy to make ahead, feeds a crowd, and tastes “oh.my.word…so good”.
Chicken Barbecue Sandwiches
(adapted from Big Bowl of Love – my new favorite cookbook)
8 chicken thighs – washed and dried well (on sale as part of this week’s Price Chopper Deals)
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups of your favorite BBQ Sauce (Oklahoma Joe’s For Me)
6 whole wheat hamburger buns
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Remove skin from thighs.
3. In a bowl combine onion powder, garlic powder, brown sugar, and chili powder. Mix well.
4. Place chicken in a roasting pan. Drizzle chicken with olive oil and use your hands to completely coat each thigh with oil. (You made need extra oil.) Then sprinkle run from bowl over the chicken and using your hands, rub it all over the chicken thighs. Top with BBQ sauce. Turn thighs once to coat. (But no need to run BBQ sauce with hands.)
5. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for one hour. Baste every 15 minutes until meat literally is falling off the bone. Add water to bottom of pan if it becomes too dry.
6. Transfer chicken to platter and let stand for 5 minutes. Shred meat.
7. Toast hamburger buns and place a good helping of meat and sauce from the pan/drippings. Top with additional BBQ if desired.
And then ROOT. ROOT. ROOT. really loud for any team that is playing against the Patriots.
What about you? Do you have a favorite Super Bowl Food? Share it with us via the comments or on the Kansas City Mamas Facebook Page.