The purpose of What’s For Dinner? is to provide you a recipe with items on sale this week, with no more than 10 ingredients (not including pantry items), and coming in at under $10 per meal.
It’s time for some healthy fat and cleansing fiber after our Christmas Feast.
And what better way than inexpensive avocados, cilantro, limes, and jalapenos from the Price Chopper Deals this week and a pound of dried black beans.
3 avocados – peeled, pitted, and mashed
1/4 cup red onion, diced
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
12 (6 inch) corn tortillas
1 bunch fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
Fresh lime wedges
Cheddar Cheese, Sour Cream and Tomatoes for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees..
2. In a medium bowl, mix avocados, red onion, garlic salt, and lime.
3. Arrange corn tortillas in a single layer on a large baking sheet, and place in the preheated oven for 2 to 5 minutes, until heated through and slightly crispy.
4. Spread avocado mixture on tortillas. Garnish with cilantro, cheddar cheese, sour cream or tomatoes.
Black Bean Cilantro
1 pound dried black beans, rinsed and picked over
2 quarts water
4 tablespoons chicken bullion
1/4 cup olive oil
2 bay leaves
1 red onion, chopped
5 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1. Put beans in a large stock pot with 6-8 cups of water and soak overnight.
2. Drain, rinse, and place back in large stock with water, chicken bullion, olive oil, and bay leaves.
3. Bring to a boil and then turn down to medium-low heat and simmer, covered for two hours.
4. Add the next five ingredients (all except lime juice) and simmer for another 30 minutes. Beans should be tender and liquid is slightly thick.
5. Add lime juice and serve immediately with tacos.
What about you? Ready for some healthy food? What are you eating to get back in the “swing of things”? Share it with us via the comments or on the Kansas City Mamas Facebook Page.