Summer is coming.
And with summer, my desire to cook or meal plan goes right out the window.
Call it the heat. Call it having the kids home. Call it the swimming pool. Call it whatever…all I know is that I need to have a few easy meals in my back pocket or else we eat peanut butter with jelly for dinner more times than I care to count.
There are three things I love about this Roasted Veggie Quesadillas Recipe.
- ONE – lots of the produce needed comes from either a farmer’s market or your backyard garden.
- TWO – you can make the veggies ahead and freeze. If you do that, just be sure to thaw and drain, otherwise you will have soggy quesadillas.
- THREE – if the thought of cooking veggies in your oven during the summer makes you cringe, you can easily cook them on the grill in either a grilling pan or an old cookie sheet.
Roasted Veggie Quesadilla Recipe
Recipe Yields: 4 servings (1 large quesadilla per person)
1/2 pound of Asparagus Spears — washed, trimmed, and cut into 1 inch pieces
2 large Portobello Caps — stem and gills removed, sliced thinly
1 medium Onion, sliced thinly
1 pint of Grape Tomatoes, cut in half
10 small Brussels Sprouts, ends cut off and thinly sliced
2 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 teaspoon of Salt
1/2 teaspoon of Ground Pepper
(8) 8-inch Flour Tortillas
1 cup of Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
2 oz. of Cream Cheese
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Coat a large baking sheet or roasting pan with non-stick spray. Add all vegetables to sheet. Drizzle oil, salt and pepper over the top; using hands toss to coat well. Place in oven and roast for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
2. Lay out each tortilla, and spread about 1/2 tablespoon of cream cheese on one side (of each tortilla). Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of mozzarella cheese on top of the cream cheese, then add 1/3 cup (eyeball this, you need to divide the veggies into 4 portions so it might be more or less) of veggies on top, and spread out evenly. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of mozzarella on top of the veggies, and then place tortilla on top, cream cheese side down (towards the inside). Repeat for next 3 quesadillas.
3. Heat a large cast-iron skillet or griddle over medium heat. (Or completely cheat and use the Cuisinart 5-in-1 Griddler like me – best purchase ever. ) Spray with non stick spray, and place the quesadilla into the skillet. Cook over medium/high for 2 to 4 minutes, check to see when it’s browned, and then flip and cook an additional 2-3 minutes on opposite side. Repeat for all quesadillas.
4. Cut quesadillas into fourths, and serve immediately.