(It’s a new song in the Snyder household. My daughter and I sing it everyday now.)
Did you know that Mangos are a super food? That one cup of mangos equals 100 calories? And they are in-season year round in the United States?
Me neither and that’s why my daughter and I are singing the Mango. Mango. Mango song!
Okay….before you think I’m going mango crazy…there is a reason to this madness. My daughter and I were blessed to hang out with the National Mango Board (and some awesome bloggers) a couple of nights ago at The Culinary Center of Kansas City.
It was such a cool experience because..
- I got to hangout with my daughter and COOK.
- We got to learn about mangos (like how to cut them, see below),
- We received some killer recipes for mangos, like the quick easy 5 Ingredient Mango Salsa Recipe below…it was so good peeps, that I asked to take the leftovers home. #noshame
- And it made my daughter try (and now love…hence the MANGO song) a new food.
Seriously, for a crazy busy mom….there is nothing better than that. Good food, time with your daughter, AND having her love a new super food. WIN!!
So without further ado…here are the four easy steps to cutting a mango, courtesy of the Mango Board. (And thank GOODNESS I learned how to cut a mango, because I was doing it WAY, WAY WRONG for like FOREVER.)
How To Cut a Mango
But before I start, you need to use ripe mangos. How do you know if they are ripe? By the squeeze…they should feel squishy, but still firm.
1. Find the pith “bump”. (Also referred to the bump on the butt. Just imagine you are finding the butt bone on the mango.) Turn the “bump” right side up.
2. Cut on either side of the bump. This is where the fleshy yumminess is located.
3. Score the cut “fleshy” part with a small pairing knife.
4. Use a spoon to scoop out the mango.
Quick Easy 5 Ingredient Mango Salsa
This Quick Easy 5 Ingredient Mango Salsa Recipe is TOO. DIE. FOR. Loaded with super fruits, under 150 calories per cup and full on taste.
Recipe Yields: 1.5 cups of salsa
1 Large Mango, peeled, pitted and chopped
1/3 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup red onion, minced
1/3 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 tablespoon lime juice, fresh
pinch of kosher salt
1. In a medium sized bowl, mix all ingredients.
2. Let stand for 30 minutes to one hour. Stir again and serve immediately.
And then use the Quick Easy 5 Ingredient Mango Salsa Recipe on these Cinco de Mango Quesadillas.
Cinco de Mango Quesadillas
Sweet and spicy. This cinco de mango quesadilla is the best of both worlds…plus it is super easy to make.
Recipe Yields: 4 quesadillas
2 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 can of tomato sauce, 8 oz.
1 dried ancho/pasilla chile pepper, stemmed and seeded
4 flour tortilla shells, burrito sized
6 oz Colby Jack Cheese, shredded
1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted and thinly sliced
1/4 cup red bell pepper
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1. Cook chicken on a medium-high grill until lightly charred and cooked through.
2. Cut into bite-sized strips and place in a small bowl. Set aside.
3. Puree tomato sauce and dried pepper in a blender (or food processor). Transfer liquid to a small saucepan and simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes. Add grilled chicken and toss. Transfer back to small bowl and set aside.
4. Add dd equal parts cheese, mango, bell pepper, green onion, and chicken to tortilla. Fold tortilla in half.
5. Cook in a large skillet on both sides until cheese is melted and tortilla is crisp. About 5 minutes per side.
6. Serve with Quick Easy 5 Ingredient Mango Salsa Recipe.
Disclosure: The National Mango Board and The Motherhood sponsored this blog post. However, the opinions, pictures, and thoughts are my own. And the MANGO. MANGO. MANGO song does get sung at the Snyder house often. Want more information – check out my full disclosure statement.
LOVE this recipe? Make sure to check out all of our tried and true recipes in the Redefined Mom Recipe Index.