It has an obnoxious party design on it.
Back in December, we were very excited about the popcorn tin and the popcorn that lived within in it. After a few weeks of over-eating popcorn, the popcorn was forgotten and the tin was moved from room to room.
At one point it became a landing place for junk mail, a drum and even a weapon — boys will be boys. Now, several months later I need to get rid of the left-over stale popcorn and do something with this unappealing, metal junk-mail/drum/weapon object.
When my dog, Gigi, started growling at the popcorn tin, I knew what I needed to do. I was going to make a DIY Dog Food Container From a Recycled Popcorn Tin!
Why not paint it and store stuff in it — like dog toys or dog food! Brilliant. I threw out the old popcorn, much to Gigi’s chagrin, washed and dried the container then began the process of changing this ugly duckling into the queen of all dog food containers.
DIY Dog Food Container from a Recycled Popcorn Tin
What you will need:
- Popcorn tin
- Primer spray paint
- Spray paint
- Chalkboard craft paint
- Sponge paint brush
- Dog food
- Food scoop
1. Clean and dry your popcorn tin.
2. Using your primer spray, paint the outside of your container and the lid. Make sure that you don’t use a heavy hand. You want all of your paint layers to be nice and light — don’t hold the can too close or spray too long that you get drips. Let dry completely.
3. Once your base primer layer has dried, spray paint the outside of the container with whatever color you choose. Let dry completely. Add a second coat and let dry.
4. Using your chalkboard paint, paint your lid. Let dry completely, then paint a second coat.
5. Once your lid is dry, condition your chalkboard surface before use by rubbing chalk over the entire surface, then erase or clean with a damp cloth. Let dry. Now you can write on your lid!
6. Add your dog food to your newly painted container.
7. Using some fun ribbon, tie your food scoop to one of the handles.
8. With chalk, write a funny note on the lid or simply “Dog Food.”
What other ideas do you have to recycle popcorn tins? We’d love to hear about it!
Becca Wilkinson has a creative “need” and will do anything to avoid laundry. She writes over at Cul-de-sac Cool about design, DIY/crafts, easy eats, family, funny experiences and of course, motherhood. Becca wants to spread happiness, helpful tips, pretty things and funny experiences throughout the land. She is the proud mother of three boys and married to her college sweetheart. In her past life she was a graphic designer. Becca has learned a lot these past years about juggling boys, blogging, family and suburban life.