Very early in my “how coupons changed my financial life” timeframe, I decided to step foot and learn how to shop at ALDI.
I had noticed the ALDI sign several times as I drove by, but to be honest shopping at ALDI scared me.
The utilitarian building with the weird blue and orange sign screamed “Discount Warehouse of Second Hand Food”.
But I knew I had a budget I had to stick to and I wanted the cheap produce I had seen in the circular, so I decided to be brave and venture in through the sliding glass doors.
And THANK GOD I ventured in through the sliding glass doors because I make a once (if not twice) a month trip to my local store.
Why? Because ALDI rocks.
But be advised, it isn’t like every other grocery store on the planet. While it isn’t the “Discount Warehouse of Second Hand Food”, it also has a few quirks. But once you get used to the quirks, you will become an ALDI pro in no time.
My Top 10 Reasons Why ALDI Rocks
1. They don’t take credit cards (but can take debit cards). Since I use a cash envelope system for my groceries, I love that I have to stay in budget when I shop at ALDI.
2. Weekly produce specials. Most specials are a $1.00 or less per pound.
3. Pork specials. During the holiday season (and after), you are able to get hams for almost $.50 per pound less than the best deal at the grocery store.
4. Seasonal Products. ALDI has different non-grocery items they bring in every week. I’ve purchased bath mats, electric food scales, cast-iron pans, garden trellis and more. The prices and quality are great.
5. Standard selection. The chances of having an impulse buy at ALDI are close to zero because their selection in consistent and minimalistic. Need Mozzarella cheese – they have it. Need Guyere cheese – not so much.
6. Small store. If you spend an hour in ALDI, you may have gotten lost in the storage room. You can truly be in and out in 15 minutes or less if you have planned your shopping trip ahead of time.
7. Wine. If you live on the Missouri side, you can take part in Winking Owl or other ALDI brand wine for $3.99 a bottle. Is it amazing? No. Is it drinkable and then some? Absolutely.
8. Carts For A Quarter. Need a cart? It will cost you a quarter. Return the cart? You get your quarter back. It is strange, but it keeps the parking lot neat and my kids entertained.
9. Fast cashiers. These are the fastest cashiers you will ever experience in your entire life. Period.
10. ALDI store brand. It is awesome. I’ve only had one item (lemon juice) that I thought was not great. Even better, if you don’t like an ALDI store brand item, they will give you double your money back.
Stay tuned…because later this week I’ll let you know What to Buy At Aldi.
What about you? Why do you think ALDI rocks? Did you have a misconception before your first store trip?