We’ve had a fair share of snow days over the past few weeks.
And my kids LOVE to play in the snow. And then they love to come inside and get warmed up with hot chocolate and some sort of baked good.
Enter the Easy Baked Cake Doughnuts Recipe.
First, it’s one of the easiest recipes I’ve ever made. There is no frying. The batter is easy to work with and they taste out of this world. (Like my son can down four of them without a lot of effort.)
Second, if you haven’t invested in a doughnut pan, they are pretty amazing. If you are able, I recommend having at least two pans. I only have one, and so I’ve got to wash the pan between each batch, which is a bit of a pain.
This recipe would also be awesome if you are looking for a Valentine’s Day Breakfast…the doughnuts are 25 minutes from start to finish, so perfect for a special breakfast.
(This recipe was adapted from Barefoot Contessa Foolproof Cookbook.)
Easy Baked Cake Doughnuts With Cinnamon & Sugar
2 cups all purpose flour
1.5 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
1.25 cups whole milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 stick of butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray doughnuts pan with cooking spray or grease lightly.
2. In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
3. In a small bowl, combine egg, milk, melted butter, and vanilla. Wisk together until well combined.
4. Stir wet mixture into dry mixture until just combined. (Don’t over mix.)
5. Spoon batter into baking pans and fill each one to 3/4 full.
Note: This is where I usually mess up and over fill. Try not to overfill, otherwise you have bundt cakes and not doughnuts.
6. Bake for 17 minutes or until toothpick comes out easily.
7. Let cool for 5 minutes and the place doughnuts on a cooling rack.
8. While doughnuts are baking, create the topping. Melt one stick of butter in small sauce pan. Combine sugar and cinnamon in a shallow bowl. Dip one side of doughnut in butter and then in cinnamon sugar. If you are a glutton, you can dip both sides.
Enjoy! These easy baked cake doughnuts are best served warm, but are still yummy for up to 24-hours if covered properly.
Do you have a favorite baked good for cold days? Leave it in the comments. And make sure to check out other recipes in Kelly’s Kitchen.